Mold is essentially a form of fungus that is present just about everywhere, including in the air. Generally, normal quantities of mold in the environment will not pose a considerable health risk to healthy individuals with normal immune system function. Nevertheless, some individuals could be much more susceptible to mold spores in comparison to others. In addition, these individuals could develop symptoms of respiratory distress after breathing in even a small volume of spores. Inhaled in large quantities, just about anyone can become ill from mold exposure.

As such, individuals should get rid of any growth of mold around the home and take the necessary precautions to stop it from growing back. As it relates to getting rid of them from around the home, the same treatment should be applied to all molds. This can be done by:

• Ridding hard surfaces of visible mold growth with hot soapy water, commercial mold removal products or a combination of 1 cup of bleach to each gallon of water.
• Removing and discarding porous or soft materials that show any signs of mold, such as carpets, wallboard or insulation.
• Contact an expert if there is widespread mold growth around the home or should allergic reactions happen when moldy surfaces are being cleaned.

Below is some useful information on how to recover from mold exposure:

Diagnosis

A physician may arrive at a diagnosis for a mold allergy based on the symptoms being experienced by the individual and his or her family and medical histories. In addition, the doctor may carry out tests such as:

Skin Prick Test

This test is designed to detect reactions to common allergens.

Blood Tests

These tests are used to measure the response of the immune system to mold and to look for allergies to particular forms of mold.

To identify a systemic fungal infection in an individual who has a compromised immune system, a physician could take a blood sample. There are some cases that could require further testing.

Treatment and Recovery

Treatment and recovery from a mold allergy are comparable to recovering from other forms of inhaled allergies. Included among the treatment options are:

• Whenever possible, avoid the allergen.
• Use antihistamines to stop sneezing, itchiness and a runny nose.
• Use a nasal rinse to flush out mold spores from the nose.
• For a short-term remedy to help with congestion, use a decongestant nasal spray.
• Oral decongestants can also be used to lessen congestion.
• To decrease inflammation, use nasal corticosteroids.

As a long-term solution, a physician could recommend immunotherapy. This procedure involves getting allergy shots, in succession, over a few years. Immunotherapy could be highly effective; however, it is only appropriate for treatment for particular types of mold allergy.

Irrespective of the form of mold, removing it from the home is extremely essential for health and hygiene reasons. Any individual who is concerned about the effects mold might be having on his or her health should have that discussion with a doctor.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *