Having a root canal can be quite intimidating, but it’s a way to save the infected or decayed tooth. The pulp of the tooth gets damaged and the pulp chamber gets infected by the bacteria leading to tooth abscess. Let’s find more about the root canal process.
What is a root canal?
Root canal is a treatment that cures any tooth pain lawrence ks caused due to infection or abscess in the tooth. The inflamed part of the tooth is removed and cleaned, thereby filling the hole with dental filling and sealing the area with a cap.
When is a root canal needed?
Root canal treatment becomes essential when the pulp inside of your tooth is invaded by oral bacteria. This condition occurs when a dental cavity is left for prolonged time without being treated. Another condition could be if the tooth suffers damage leading to breakage or exposure of the inner part of the tooth.
Although root canal is not quite a complicated procedure, getting it treated by the best dentist is necessary to avoid any further infection. Nowadays, it is easy to find a dental clinic anywhere in India. Also, in tier 2 & 3 cities such as Kochi where patients come from all over Kerala to get their dental treatment done. Equipped with modern diagnostic tools, expert dentists, and medical staff, you will find some of the best dental clinics in Kochi. If you are in and around southern India, you must check & book an appointment. Here you can get access to comprehensive dental care with primary focus on health rather than just treating the disease.
Now that you know where to get the top notched treatment, let’s check out the symptoms:
What are some symptoms that indicate you may need root canal treatment?
There are some cases in which one may not know about an infected tooth. However, there are some symptoms which can be considered as a sign that you need a root canal which are:
- If there is a constant toothache
- If your tooth is very sensitive to heat and cold
- If you have swollen gums
- If you are having pimple on the gums
- In condition of a Swollen jaw
- If there is tooth discoloration
- If it pains when pressure is applied in that area
- In conditions of a chipped or a cracked tooth
- If you are having a loose tooth
What happens during the root canal process?
In this process, your healthcare provider or doctor will first take a dental X-rays of the affected tooth before beginning your root canal. This helps the doctor evaluate the exact condition of the damaged tooth and ensure that root canal therapy is the appropriate treatment for this condition. Below are the steps of root canal procedure:
- Anesthesia: Before starting the process, local anesthesia is injected in the gums to numb the infected tooth. Nitrous oxide, oral sedatives or intravenous (IV) sedation are also used in dentistry to help you relax. In case if you are facing any anxiety the dentist can give you sedatives.
- Placement of Dental Dam: A small dental dam is placed over the infected tooth area to keep it dry before the procedure starts.
- Access hole: In this process a small opening or hole is made in the crown of the tooth so that the pulp can be accessed.
- Pulp removal: In this process, very, small dental instruments are used to remove the blood vessels, nerves and tissues inside the infected tooth.
- Shaping the canals: After the removal of the pulp, the root canals and the pulp chamber are properly cleaned, disinfected and shaped.
- Filling the canals: The empty canals are filled with gutta-percha, a rubbery and flexible dental material.
- Tooth seal: The tooth is sealed with a temporary dental filling to prevent it from getting infected with any bacteria.
- Placing the final restoration: Mostly one needs a dental crown to protect the treated tooth and restore bite. Dental crowns are custom-made, and the fabrication usually takes two to three weeks to be made. Once your dental crown is ready, the applied temporary filling is removed from its place and the permanent crown is placed. In some cases, one may be able to receive a crown during the same appointment.
Do root canals hurt?
Most of the people are afraid that they might have severe tooth pain after root canal therapy. However, most people find immediate relief after the treatment because the source of infection is removed during the process. If in case you are having severe pain after a root canal treatment, call your doctor or healthcare provider immediately.
What should I expect after a root canal?
After root canal treatment there shouldn’t be any pain but you may notice sensitivity for the first few days which is normal and one can take pain relievers to overcome that. In most cases, the side effects reduce within one or two weeks. While root canals can be painful, getting treated at the trustworthy & well known doctors can help you control your nervousness. The dentists here are experienced, gentle and they have equipments for painless dentistry.